[GE users] execd on HP-UX starts as root

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Sep 14 11:02:15 BST 2007

Hi,

Am 14.09.2007 um 11:24 schrieb truneaux:

> I have a newly installed 6.1u2 running and I just found that
> sgeexecd on HP-UX B11.11 on a 9000/785 running as root though there
> is an admin_user configured.
>
> The admin_user is qadmin, defined in a NIS passwd map. yppasswd
> gives me the same output an all platforms for qadmin, the $SGE_ROOT
> directory belongs to qadmin as well as everything below $SGE_ROOT
> but the sgeexecd keeps starting as root on these nodes. Only
> systems running HP-UX show this behaviour, the other plattforms don't.
>
> My qmaster runs on a Linux RHEL4, kernel 2.6.9-42.0.3, x86
> architecture.
>
> Any suggestions ?

on Linux you have a real user and an effective user. What do you see
there with:

ps -e f -o ruser,user,command

reuti at node01:~> ps -e f -o user,ruser,command
USER     RUSER    COMMAND
sgeadmin root     /usr/sge/bin/lx24-x86/sge_execd

The real user is always root for sgeexecd, otherwise it couldn't
switch to any user for execution of the job. I have no access to HP-
UX, but I could imagine, that the real user is listed there by
default, not the effective one.