[GE users] Effects of changing network static ip and dns name

Brett W Grant Brett_W_Grant at raytheon.com
Fri Sep 14 14:55:28 BST 2007

I have a private network set up with SGE v6.1.  The entire cluster is
connected to one nic as a private LAN.  The head node, where qmaster is
running, has a second nic that connects to the company's LAN.  The only
thing this second nic is used for is remote access, the grid runs just
fine whether it sees the LAN or not.  This second nic was assigned an ip
address through dhcp, which I requested that the company change it to a
static ip so I could use it more as a server.  Anyway, when they assigned
the static ip, the dns name also changed.  I know that gridware is
somewhat picky about name resolution.  I have about 3 weeks of work to
finish on the cluster before I could take it down.  Should I wait for the
downtime to change everything, or since SGE is really using the private
LAN that I set up which will be unaffected, could I just change it now?
The machines are macs.

Thanks,
Brett Grant