[GE users] Effects of changing network static ip and dns name

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Sep 14 15:19:21 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 06:55 -0700, Brett W Grant wrote:

> I have a private network set up with SGE v6.1.  The entire cluster is
> connected to one nic as a private LAN.  The head node, where qmaster
> is running, has a second nic that connects to the company's LAN.  The
> only thing this second nic is used for is remote access, the grid runs
> just fine whether it sees the LAN or not.  This second nic was
> assigned an ip address through dhcp, which I requested that the
> company change it to a static ip so I could use it more as a server.
Sounds OK.

>   Anyway, when they assigned the static ip, the dns name also
> changed.
Again sounds OK.

You can change the setup now, no need to wait.
In fact, why do you need to change any setup?
As you say, SGE is sensitive to hostnames (no names, no packdrill but
half an hour in a cold machine room yesterday taught me this.
It is also sensitive to some bozo changing the ownership of act_qmaster
to root rather than sge. Ahem.)

So all you need to do is make sure that the master host resolves its own
name to the INTERNAL interface. Which you already have done.

Call the EXTERNAL interface anything you like within its own /etc/hosts
file. In fact, you don't really need any entry for it at all.
For external traffic coming in, those hosts will use the DNS to resolve
the name and will get the external IP address.
Making this clear - make changes and use the gethostbyname and gethostip
utilities to make sure the machine itself always resolves to the
internal address.