[GE users] Effects of changing network static ip and dns name

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Fri Sep 14 15:46:50 BST 2007

Hi,

what hostname is configured in the "act_qmaster" name file? Is it the
external name or the internal name? Do you use SGE host aliasing

If it's the internal name and a change is made then qmaster would not update
the act_qmaster file during runtime and clients could not reach qmaster -
that would almost certainly cause a problem.

However shutting down qmaster and restart it would just cause a very short
outage of your qmaster service - running and pending jobs would not be
affect - just a qsub and other q* commands would fail for that short period.
The bigger risk here might be to find the right time when to restart qmaster
- you hardly have a guarantee whne a DNS changes is propagated to the client
machine - DNS caches and local nscd caches will delay actual propagation.
Using the SGE "gethostbyname" utility of course would answer that question.
If qmaster does not come up when you try to restart it it's likely the case
the the current name does not match the name in the act_qmaster file - in
this case just update the act_qmaster file manually and rerun the sgemaster
script wiht the current hostname (probably shortend by the domain suffix) if
ignore_fqdn is set to true.

Andy