[GE users] install_execd fails because it can't find queue master

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Sep 21 21:59:39 BST 2007

With a few fits and starts I eventually got the queue master installed and
running on one host (tuba):

    % pgrep -fl sge
    20264 /gridware/sge/bin/sol-x86/sge_schedd
    20258 /gridware/sge/bin/sol-x86/sge_qmaster

I then went to another host (userver69), made sure I had appropriate entries
in /etc/services and ran install_execd.  It said:

    If you haven't installed the Grid Engine qmaster host yet, you must execute
    this step (with >install_qmaster<) prior the execution host installation.

    For a sucessfull installation you need a running Grid Engine qmaster. It is
    also neccesary that this host is an administrative host.

    You can verify your current list of administrative hosts with
    the command:

       # qconf -sh

    You can add an administrative host with the command:

       # qconf -ah <hostname>

So I executed:

    % SGE_ROOT=/gridware/sge /gridware/sge/bin/sol-x86/qconf -sh
    error: cell directory "/gridware/sge/default" doesn't exist

Hmmm...  I tried continuing anyway:

    Grid Engine cells
    -----------------

    Please enter cell name which you used for the qmaster
    installation or press <RETURN> to use [default] >>

"default" is the cell name so I accepted it.  However, it complained:

    Obviously there was no qmaster installation yet!
    Call >install_qmaster<
    on the machine which shall run the Grid Engine qmaster

and exited.  Now I was under the impression that I was supposed to run
install_qmaster on the admin host and install_execd on all execution hosts.
The two hosts have the same services entries:

    % ssh tuba egrep sge /etc/services
    sge_qmaster     6444/tcp
    sge_execd       6445/tcp
    % ssh userver69 egrep sge /etc/services
    sge_qmaster     6444/tcp
    sge_execd       6445/tcp

I'm obviously missing something, but what?

Thanks,

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/