[GE users] asking about speeding up load reporting -- johnny layne

Johnny Layne laynejg at vcu.edu
Mon Sep 24 15:59:24 BST 2007

hi all,
Just an update on my experiences playing with mem_free and the
load_report_time value. I changed my job so that the memory hogging
occurs more gradually, so that after about 5 minutes the node is really
getting hammered by 3 or 4 of these jobs. Using mem_free as a Suspend
Threshold with a value of 1.5G (well I used K units actually) on my node
with 4G RAM, the jobs were managed beautifully, this worked even better
than when I ran the jobs so the memory grabbing occured at the
beginning. This is much more like real jobs we run, so this really made
me happy. In fact I'm going to set the load_report_time back to 40s and
see how I like that.

Yes Reuti the default suspend method worked great, everything worked
great in fact. I'm going to keep running a few more tests then grab some
more nodes for my testing, see how that goes too before we hit the whole
cluster with this, but I'm already pretty sure that this is what we were
looking for.
johnny