[GE users] Why no DRMAA support for Windows?

Thu Sep 27 10:52:57 BST 2007

Hi Kevin,

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, Kevin Swanson wrote:

> I saw in the Grid Engine 6.1 installation guide that DRMAA is not
> supported on Windows hosts. I had hoped to set up DRMAA (Java binding)
> on a Windows submit host and send jobs off to Linux execution hosts.

DRMAA support for Windows were doable, if the corresponding Grid Engine
client-side source code were ported to native Windows. Native Windows
porting is needed, if the Java DRMAA binding shall be usable not only by
SFU-programs. Although Java DRMAA binding for Windows SFU programs were
easier to accomplish, but I fear this is not what you envision.

> Does anyone know why DRMAA is not supported on Windows? Are there any
> plans to support it?

Currently there are no unfortunately no plans to do the port. That however
could change, if you could help pushing and pulling as to make the demand
more visible and aware. If that doesn't work last resort would be to pray
for it.

Best regards,
Andreas

http://gridengine.info/

Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Marcel Schneider, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer