[GE users] Why no DRMAA support for Windows?

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Fri Sep 28 09:28:14 BST 2007

Hi,

Dan is mentioning below we might have a pure Java implementation of DRMAA in
the future - so what's behind that vague statement?

For SGE 6.2 we are currently implementing a Mbean server running as a thread
in qmaster. This means qmaster can load a JVM when it starts up.

Currently most likely not known to most of you there's a unsupported and
largely undocumented libgdi.so/jgdi.jar part of SGE 6.1 which is a low level
access method (read, write, modify; I'm reluctant to call it API yet) to
most of the SGE data structures residing in qmaster. The big disadvantage of
that approach is that it requires to load the native libgdi.so into a Java
application - something which you would like to avoid if you want to contact
SGE thorugh app server. It also makes live for our Hededy engineers much
easier if the same JVM can contact multiple SGE cluster, possibly running
different versions or patch levels.

With the JVM running in qmaster the functional part of libgdi.so is moving
into qmaster and Java clients can contact qmaster without loading native
code. That's still not a true API (und the low level access will be an
unsupported and unstable part of SGE 6.2) because it's still low level acess
and it's still not DRMAA. However this approach opens the door to have a
pure Java DRMAA client which will base on that infrastructure.

Andy