[GE users] mpich2 smpd jobs not ending

Benjamin Singer ben.singer at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 28 15:02:42 BST 2007

I was able to resolve the issue on Mac OS X by:

1) Adding a fflush(stdout) to the mpihello.c program.
This seems to be why it was never running to
completion. Why would that be?

After that, stopmpich2.sh ran for the first time; it
reported "no tac command found"-- Mac OS X does not
ship with a tac command.

so I

2) installed a tac workalike written in perl, and put
the full path to it in stopmpich2.sh

Ben

--- Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 27.09.2007 um 23:07 schrieb Benjamin Singer:
>
> > Couldn't get daemonless to work (mpich2_smpd_rsh--
> > getting a bad file descriptor error), so I moved
> on to
> > the smpd daemon based mpich2_smpd method. This is
> on
> > mac os x.
>
> both methods are working without SGE?
>
> > I've got the mpich2_smpd pe almost working--
> mpihello
> > is running and saying hello from the nodes. But
> the
> > jobs don't die, I need to qdel them. When I do the
> > qdel everything cleans up nicely.
> >
> > Any idea why my jobs won't take the final step and
> > end?
>
> What is the final step? The mpirun, the jobscript or
> the PE
> stopscript. Can you investigate this by putting some
> echo commands in
> these scripts?
>
> Although I'm typing this on a Mac, I have no cluster
> of Macs to test
> this. But I remember a similar problem with LAM/MPI
> under SGE on Macs
> on this list.
>
> -- Reuti

> For additional commands, e-mail: