[GE users] Concurrent queue

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Sep 28 16:15:05 BST 2007

Am 28.09.2007 um 15:28 schrieb Heywood, Todd:

> This raises a follow-up question, which I have to solve soon.
>
> Is there any way to prevent host overloading with respect to active
> jobs,
> but not suspended jobs? In other words, I need to prevent
> overloading, but
> also have two queues per exec host, one of which is subordinate to the
> other. When the main queue fills, running jobs in the subordinate
> queue get
> suspended. But they don't release their slot, who main queue jobs
> don't get
> slots to start running with. Unless you allow slot overloading,
> which I
> don't want since there are likely to be still other queues that
> will have to
> be defined in the future.

there is already the addititonal side effect, that the (complete)
subordinated queue will be suspended when there is one..to...all
slots used - depending on your definition. To suspend as many slots
from the subordinated queue as slots in the superordinated queue are
used is not implemented (issue 35).

To define the slot limit only for some queues the resource quota
approach is best, as you can limit it to target only all the
superordinated queues:

limit        queues queue_A,queue_B hosts {*} to slots=8

and in queue_C it should still run jobs on the same host.

-- Reuti