[GE users] Custom load sensor - correct way to time limit a host?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Sep 28 19:52:25 BST 2007

I desire a fairly simple setup.  I don't want my users to worry about
different queues.  All execution hosts are functionally identical.  Though
they have different numbers of CPUs and more or less memory and swap space,
we are all one big group, we don't have to worry about floating or
node-locked software licenses, etc.

Many of our machines are reserved during the day, however.  They might not
be CPU-bound strictly speaking, but they need to be available for incoming
network data which can be very bursty.  Other machines are available 24x7.

So, one queue, many hosts, some available all the time, others only during
well-defined time windows.  Am I correct in assuming that the proper way to
do this is to write a custom load sensor which fakes a high load during the
times machines are reserved for other uses?  It seems like an easy script to
right, but if there's some better built-in way to do this, I'd obviously
prefer to use that instead.

Thanks,

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/