[GE users] Custom load sensor - correct way to time limit a host?

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Sep 28 20:33:27 BST 2007

Am 28.09.2007 um 20:52 schrieb skip at pobox.com:

> I desire a fairly simple setup.  I don't want my users to worry about
> different queues.  All execution hosts are functionally identical.
> Though
> they have different numbers of CPUs and more or less memory and
> swap space,
> we are all one big group, we don't have to worry about floating or
> node-locked software licenses, etc.

Different amount of CPUs, i.e. slots, you can setup in the queue
definition for each host/-group separate in one and the same queue
definition.

> Many of our machines are reserved during the day, however.  They
> might not
> be CPU-bound strictly speaking, but they need to be available for
> incoming
> network data which can be very bursty.  Other machines are
> available 24x7.
>
> So, one queue, many hosts, some available all the time, others only
> during
> well-defined time windows.  Am I correct in assuming that the
> proper way to
> do this is to write a custom load sensor which fakes a high load
> during the
> times machines are reserved for other uses?  It seems like an easy
> script to
> right, but if there's some better built-in way to do this, I'd
> obviously
> prefer to use that instead.

II would go for one of these options:

a) you could define a calendar in SGE to suspend or disable some
hosts (i.e. queue instances) during the day (man calendar_conf)

b) define the queue with a "priority 19" (i.e. nice value) on these
machines, so that any local activity gets more CPU time, keeping the
running jobs (depends of course on the memory requirements and more,
whether this is suitable in your case)

In any case I would suggest to give these machine a higher sequence
number and change the schedule setup to order the queue instances by
"seqno", so that these machines are used last.