[GE users] User Time + System Time != Wall Clock Time

Azhar Ali Shah aas_lakyari at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 3 11:24:41 BST 2008

Running a parallel job with MPICH2-1.0.7 + SGE demanding 4 processors on my cluster gives following statistics:

Job 152 (DS1001-4P) Complete
 User             = aas
 Queue            = all.q at xxxx
 Host             = smeg.cs.nott.ac.uk
 Start Time       = 04/02/2008 20:07:37
 End Time         = 04/03/2008 00:09:55
 User Time        = 00:00:18
 System Time      = 00:00:04
 Wallclock Time   = 04:02:18
 CPU              = 00:00:22
 Max vmem         = 8.551M
 Exit Status      = 0

I wonder why user time and system time are so minimum as compared to wall clock time. Earlier to this, I ran same task with same data as a sequential job on single machine that gave following statistics:

ob 35 (batchjob.sh) Complete
 User             = aas
 Queue            = all.q at xxxx
 Host             = smeg.cs.nott.ac.uk
 Start Time       = 03/06/2008 17:01:34
 End Time         = 03/08/2008 04:50:20
 User Time        = 1:01:18:28
 System Time      = 06:07:43
 Wallclock Time   = 1:11:48:46
 CPU              = 1:07:26:11
 Max vmem         = 398.684M
 Exit Status      = 0

With number of processor being 4 in parallel job I can assume the Wall Clock to be true but I cann't understand the values of User and System time in parallel version above. Any thoughts?

Azhar