[GE users] Load on computers

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Apr 4 11:31:09 BST 2008

Am 04.04.2008 um 11:43 schrieb Jan Sundermeyer:
> i have a rather fundamental querstion which is only slightly
> related to SGE.
> We use the sge 6.1 under Linux.
> When on a 4 cpu machine 4 jobs are executed, the load rises to
> levels over 5 which leads to job suspensions.
> For a lower number of jobs, load equals the number of jobs which
> are running.
> Has anybody an idea why the load increases so drastically when the
> machine is fully used ?

maybe one of the jobs is starting some threads. I saw applications,
which look into /proc/cpuinfo and start unconditionally threads
according to the information they got from there. This would of
course violate any SGE policy.

> By the way, no swapping, no io-waits are shown.

Although you mentioned "no io-waits": uninterruptible kernel-tasks
are also counting as "R" (running), but they show "D" in a "ps -e f".

-- Reuti