[GE users] piping SGE stdout to /bin/mail -- odd behavior

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Sun Apr 6 21:17:09 BST 2008

I've got a case where 2 out of 3 working shell commands execute fine
under a batch environment, just not sure what is going on with the
single example command that fails under SGE.

This may not be an SGE issue and have more to do with shells and pipes
but I'd appreciate insights on this situation:

These commands work perfectly at the command line:

echo "test" | /bin/mail -s "DOES_WORK1" chris\@bioteam.net
echo "test" | /bin/mail -s "DOES_WORK2" chris\@bioteam.net &
echo "test" | /bin/mail -v -s "DOES_WORK3" chris\@bioteam.net

These 2 commands work perfectly under SGE:

qsub -N test -b y 'echo "testing" | /bin/mail -s "TEST-WORKS-1" chris
\@bioteam.net &'
qsub -N test -b y 'echo "testing" | /bin/mail -v -s "TEST-WORKS-2"
chris\@bioteam.net'

This command does not work under SGE (no errors anywhere; no email
created):

qsub -N test -b y 'echo "testing" | /bin/mail -s "TEST-DOES_NOT_WORK"
chris\@bioteam.net'

This is likely my shell ignorance speaking here but I can't quite get
my head around why invoking /bin/mail with the "-v" verbose switch
actually makes a difference in my SGE job actually successfully
calling /bin/mail.

What am I failing to understand here? It's got to be something
obvious. No effect from altering shell via "-S". Thanks!

-Chris