[GE users] Is there a way to reserve the memory for the process inste

Mulley, Nikhil Nikhil.Mulley at deshaw.com
Wed Apr 9 16:50:44 BST 2008

SGE is v6.0.u11. One of the users had asked us recently if the memory
could be reserved by a process run via sge, that the memory may not be
used by the process but is allocated to in view of the sge. ?
This has put us to think of advanced reservations, but given the version
we are running we were not sure if there is anything such like could be
done.
We actually were so far suggesting to use 'mem_free' resource attribute
that would ensure that the machines has enough memory before it gets
launched, but might not immediately be taking the mentioned memory.
Sometimes there is another process which gets scheduled on the same
machine getting smitten by the mem_free attribute and might take up the
memory immediately what it has mentioned.
So, Is there a way to reserve the memory, instead of just checking for
free memory?

He has even come up with this link where there is 'mem_token' resource
attribute is spoken about, but I am sure at the moment on how to go
about it and what does it take me to get this complex added.

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/iss/hpc/advanced_jobs.html

Thanks,
Nikhil