[GE users] how to set max number of jobs

David Olbersen dolbersen at nextwave.com
Wed Apr 9 21:03:44 BST 2008

Russ,

We were just discussing this last week, actually. From what I understood
of the conversation you can kind of get this from the RQS like Chris
mentions.

Since I've got an older version of SGE (6.0u8) without RQS I created a
custom consumable complex, named it cores, and set it equal to the
number of CPUs on each machine (typically 4). I set the complex to
default to 1.0 so that by default each job will require one. Then I set
the queues up so that they all have 4 slots.

So if one node accepts jobs from 4 queues, totalling it up there'd be 16
potential job slots. BUT, since each job requires 1 core, and the
machine only has 4 of them, only 4 jobs (from any combination of queues)
will ever run. This has worked pretty well for me. However, I've run in
to problems with queue subordination (suspend jobs in q1 so jobs in q2
can run) and this configuration.

David Olbersen