[GE users] Annoying check of mail address

Beat Rubischon beat at 0x1b.ch
Thu Apr 10 16:36:35 BST 2008

Hello!

Today I just wanted to install GE 6.1u4 and got the following error message:

---8<---
master:/opt/sge # ./install_qmaster -auto install.conf
Reading configuration from file install.conf
Your >ADMIN_MAIL< entry is an invalid email adress or not >none<

An invalid entry was found in your autoinstall configuration file.
Please check your autoinstall configuration file!
 >install.conf<
---8<---

I found the check in $SGE_ROOT/util/install_modules/inst_common.sh

---8<---
IsMailAdress() {
    case $1 in
       [A-Za-z0-9.-]*@[a-zA-Z0-9-]*.[a-zA-z][a-zA-Z])  #valid
          return 0;;
       [A-Za-z0-9.-]*@[a-zA-Z0-9-]*.[a-zA-z][a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z]) #valid
          return 0;;
       [A-Za-z0-9.-]*@[a-zA-Z0-9-]*.[a-zA-z][a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z])
#valid
          return 0;;
       *)
          return 1;;
    esac
}
---8<---

As we use .cluster as "internal" top level domain name, the test fails.
I don't think this is an uncommon practice.

But I'm sure someone could tell me why this check was introduced :-)

Beat

--
      \|/                           Beat Rubischon <beat at 0x1b.ch>
    ( 0^0 )                             http://www.0x1b.ch/~beat/