[GE users] SGE local spooling

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu Apr 10 16:39:47 BST 2008

Forgive me for a damn fool question.

I've set up several clusters in the past with SGE local spooling, which
have worked fine.
Normally I just set things up so that the SGE_ROOT directory is NFS
mounted also, ie the exec hosts all NFS mount the directory with the SGE
binaries, and the complete spool directory hierarchy, even though they
are spooling locally.

My question is - is this access to the full spool directory strictly
necessary? Ie will the exec daemons start up if they have access to the
binaries, but not the "real" SGE_ROOT.
Looking at the execd startup script this should be OK, as SGE_ROOT is
only involved in calling utilities like /util/arch

I guess I should suck it and see...