[GE users] SGE local spooling

Erik Soyez E.Soyez at science-computing.de
Fri Apr 11 07:24:24 BST 2008

Good morning,

we've been doing local installations for many years now and it's
always been working perfectly fine.  Of course you cannot set up
shadow masters without shared files and you should have some means
of distributing files.

Erik Soyez.

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Reuti wrote:
> Am 10.04.2008 um 17:39 schrieb John Hearns:
>> Forgive me for a damn fool question.
>>
>> I've set up several clusters in the past with SGE local spooling, which
>> have worked fine.
>> Normally I just set things up so that the SGE_ROOT directory is NFS
>> mounted also, ie the exec hosts all NFS mount the directory with the SGE
>> binaries, and the complete spool directory hierarchy, even though they
>> are spooling locally.
>>
>> My question is - is this access to the full spool directory strictly
>> necessary? Ie will the exec daemons start up if they have access to the
>> binaries, but not the "real" SGE_ROOT.
>> Looking at the execd startup script this should be OK, as SGE_ROOT is
>> only involved in calling utilities like /util/arch
>>
>> I guess I should suck it and see...
>
> you can have a look here:
>
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/nfsreduce.html
>
> At least the "common" I suggest to share.

Vorstand/Board of Management:
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/
Chairman of the Supervisory Board:
Prof. Dr. Hanns Ruder