[GE users] V6.1 scheduler performance

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Fri Apr 11 11:43:49 BST 2008

Hi Mac,

that's indeed extremely interesting.

Usually using resource quotas can easily increase the scheduling times,
sometimes even drastically. With 'little effort' (i.e. not excactly knowing
how to optimize the expression of a resource quota and not knowing the
implementation details) you can decrease the cluster throughput drastically.

We are doing a lot of research and investing some significant effort to
improve these issues. Your report is extremely encouraging! Over time we
also need to improve our documentation which describes who to configure well
bahaving RQ sets and which rules are problematic.

Can your share the RQ definition you had implemented along with an overview
about your Grid setup?

Had you activated scheduler monitoring in thepast and currently? This would
show if the new RQ definition could have caused this change.

Andy