[GE users] Upgrade howto?

Marco Donauer Marco.Donauer at Sun.COM
Fri Apr 11 23:02:58 BST 2008

David,

I'm sorry. There is no way to upgrade from 6.0 to 6.1 without stopping
the cluster.
The upgrade from 6.0 to 6.1 needs a change within the Spooling Database
structure and this change,
needs a database dump and a reload. Between this two steps the database
has to be reinitialized.
We strictly recommend to shutdown the cluster and to run the cluster
empty before shutting down.
There would be one way to solve this problem. If you have the
possibility to install a parallel cluster
you could try to do a full backup of the old cluster and restore it into
the new installation.
This procedure may leave some old job fragments within our new database
and the job information
of the old jobs will be gone. This would allow you to move the user
slowly from the old to the new cluster.
But the best, recommended and tested way to upgrade is to shutdown the
cluster.

Best Regards,
Marco

--

Sun Microsystems GmbH         Marco Donauer
D-93049 Regensburg            Phone: +49 (0)941 3075-211  (x60211)
mailto:marco.donauer at sun.com
D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028