[GE users] Job Suspension Configuration

Neil Baker neil.baker at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Tue Apr 15 16:54:48 BST 2008

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a queue configuration for achieve
the following?  I would like to have two queues:

a high priority queue = H

a normal priority queue = N

Each queue will allow 4 jobs to be run on each machine (they are dual CPU
machines with hyper threading, giving 4 CPUs per machine in total).

If I had 4 jobs running on the N queue on a particular machine, then when I
run 1 job on the H queue on that same machine, I would like to suspend 1 of
the 4 jobs running on the N queue.  Likewise if I run 2 jobs on the H queue
on a particular machine, I would like to suspend 2 jobs on the N queue on
the same machine, and so on.  A kind of 1 for 1 suspension where 1 N job is
suspended in place of 1 H job. The reason for this is that I'd like to have
a higher priority queue for urgent jobs that will park normal priority jobs
(but not all normal jobs as we'd still like to use CPU horse power where
available).

I've been playing with the Subordinate Queues so that I can set a threshold
of say 4 so that when 4 jobs are run in the H queue on a machine it suspends
all jobs in the N queue (be it 1 job or 4 jobs), but I'm unable to work out
how I can get the one H job suspend only 1 N job configured.

I've looked at the Processor parameter, but I can't seem to get it working
on Linux.  I set a queue to use only processor 1 (by putting the value 1
into that parameter), but it still allows multiple jobs to run per machine,
very confusing.

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Regards

Neil