[GE users] Disabling a single machine in the grid

Neil Baker neil.baker at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Thu Apr 17 12:28:00 BST 2008

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to disable a machine/host in a queue so
that current jobs continue to run and report stats back to the qmaster /
Arco until they finish, but new jobs are prevented from running on them?

The reason for this is that occasionally I need to upgrade machines and need
to arrange an outage.  Being able to stop new jobs being run on them seems
the best action, allowing current running jobs to naturally finish.

On our legacy 5.3 grid we had built 606 queues, where a queue represented a
cpu on a machine.  To achieve the above we simply disabled individual
queues.

However on our new grid we're trying to keep the number of queues to a
minimum to make it easier to maintain, but now of course we can't disable a
queue at a time, otherwise it'll disable the whole grid.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Regards

Neil