[GE users] Disabling a single machine in the grid

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Thu Apr 17 13:15:38 BST 2008

> I was wondering if it is possible to disable a machine/host in a queue
> so
> that current jobs continue to run and report stats back to the qmaster
> /
> Arco until they finish, but new jobs are prevented from running on
> them?

Just use 'qmod -d *@hostname' or 'qmod -d *@host1,*@host2'.

This disables all queue instances on a particular host (ie, lets current
jobs finish, but prevents new ones from starting).

Since you probably don't have any files matching anything like
"*@hostname", you can even get away with not quoting the '*'
meta-character.

Put the machines back online with 'qmod -e'.
Note that you can also use host groups for addressing several machines
at once.

Eg,
   qmod -d *@@desk

> On our legacy 5.3 grid we had built 606 queues, where a queue
> represented a cpu on a machine.

The new queue organization is a vast improvement ... especially with
host groups.

/mark

serves as marking of its ?Confidential? status as defined
message from your computer.