[GE users] Slots, Machines & CPUs

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Thu Apr 17 14:08:07 BST 2008

> Is the number of slots set per host during the installation of the
> execution
> host software and its then fixed (i.e. it's not smart enough to see
> when a
> CPU is missing)?

The 'slots' are a queue property or a queue instance property and does
not necessarily reflect the number of cpus. This is a good thing.

Example 1:
We have a number of dual-cpu, dual-core machines that report having 4
cpus, but we configure them as having only 2 slots. We get better
performance using a single core per cpu (eg, 8 cpus spread over 4
machines is about 30% faster than 8 cores across 2 machines).

Example 2:
Nastran is a notorious IO hog. The special fea queue is configured with
1 slot per node, regardless of number of cpus, cores, etc.
Other queues on the same machine have a more realistic number of slots.
The fea queue is subordinate to other queues on the machine and other
queues on the machine are subordinate to the fea queue

/mark
serves as marking of its ?Confidential? status as defined
message from your computer.