[GE users] Application profiling + single v.s. double precission

Sheehan, Lucas Lucas.Sheehan at PPMEnergy.com
Fri Apr 18 22:20:54 BST 2008

I thought someone on this list might have a suggestion for me, if I'm
completely off base posting this here please let me know.

We are doing some benchmarking of our clusters (some of which use SGE
btw) and in the process of working with our user base and discussing
what types of jobs are being run it has become apparent that its
difficult to tell what kind of precision many of our apps favor.
Essentially we know our hardware capabilities and have decent RPeak
values for performance based on single and double precision operations
but its hard to tell which way our jobs are leaning.  Its either mostly
single or double precision operations or some hopefully quantifiable
ratio of both.  Does any know of any tools available that we might use
to help us profile our jobs, their resource usage, single v.s. double
precision operation, simple FLOP values etc.  I'm not too concerned
about the performance weight of the tool as it will only be run in test
scenarios to get a feel for what we have and not run with every job.

A help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Lucas