[GE users] Application profiling + single v.s. double precission

Shannon V. Davidson svdavidson at charter.net
Fri Apr 18 23:20:37 BST 2008

Sheehan, Lucas wrote:

> I thought someone on this list might have a suggestion for me, if I'm
> completely off base posting this here please let me know.
>

> We are doing some benchmarking of our clusters (some of which use SGE
> btw) and in the process of working with our user base and discussing
> what types of jobs are being run it has become apparent that its
> difficult to tell what kind of precision many of our apps favor.
> Essentially we know our hardware capabilities and have decent RPeak
> values for performance based on single and double precision operations
> but its hard to tell which way our jobs are leaning.  Its either
> mostly single or double precision operations or some hopefully
> quantifiable ratio of both.  Does any know of any tools available that
> we might use to help us profile our jobs, their resource usage, single
> v.s. double precision operation, simple FLOP values etc.  I'm not too
> concerned about the performance weight of the tool as it will only be
> run in test scenarios to get a feel for what we have and not run with
> every job.
>

> A help would be greatly appreciated.

Someone might have an answer here, but if not, this sounds like the type
of question often posted and discussed on the Beowulf mailing list
(www.beowulf.org).

Cheers,
Shannon

> Cheers,
>

> Lucas

Shannon V. Davidson <sdavidson at appro.com>
Software Engineer                   Appro
636-633-0380 (office)  443-383-0331 (fax)