[GE users] allocation rules

Maxime Kinet mkinet at ulb.ac.be
Mon Apr 21 10:05:58 BST 2008

Dear all,

we have a cluster of 20 machines, each one made of 8 cores, running
SGE 6.0. The jobs are either parallel, running on more than one core,
or serial jobs using only one core. I would like to have jobs running
on less than eight processors to be dispatched on the same machine, in
order to minimize the communication time. Right now, when jobs are
submitted, the scheduler choose an empty node, if there is one,
regardless the number of nodes required.

Here is an example to make things clearer. If I have two machines,
that is sixteen nodes, and I start by submitting two one-processors
jobs. The first one will be dispatched to machine1, and the second one
to machine2. Then, if I launch a 8 processors job, it will be spread
between the two nodes (7 procs on machine1 and one on machine2). While
it could have choosed to run the two serial jobs on machine1, and the
parallel job on machine2.

Therefore, I think the allocation rule I choosed for the parallel
environment ('Fill up') is obviously not the good one. Is there
another allocation rule that wou,ld more apropriate to the kind of
tasks at the hand? Should I create several queues for the different
kinds of jobs?

Thanks a lot for any answers/explanation.
Maxime Kinet
Université Libre de Bruxelles
Physique Statistique et Plasmas, CP 231
Campus Plaine - Boulevard du Triomphe,