[GE users] allocation rules

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Apr 21 11:29:24 BST 2008

Hi,

Am 21.04.2008 um 11:05 schrieb Maxime Kinet:

> we have a cluster of 20 machines, each one made of 8 cores, running
> SGE 6.0. The jobs are either parallel, running on more than one
> core, or serial jobs using only one core. I would like to have jobs
> running on less than eight processors to be dispatched on the same
> machine, in order to minimize the communication time. Right now,
> when jobs are submitted, the scheduler choose an empty node, if
> there is one, regardless the number of nodes required.
>
> Here is an example to make things clearer. If I have two machines,
> that is sixteen nodes, and I start by submitting two one-processors
> jobs. The first one will be dispatched to machine1, and the second
> one to machine2. Then, if I launch a 8 processors job, it will be
> spread between the two nodes (7 procs on machine1 and one on
> machine2). While it could have choosed to run the two serial jobs
> on machine1, and the parallel job on machine2.
>
> Therefore, I think the allocation rule I choosed for the parallel
> environment ('Fill up') is obviously not the good one. Is there
> another allocation rule that wou,ld more apropriate to the kind of
> tasks at the hand? Should I create several queues for the different
> kinds of jobs?
>
> Thanks a lot for any answers/explanation.

This might help: http://blogs.sun.com/sgrell/entry/
grid_engine_scheduler_hacks_least (maybe with "allocation_rule
$pe_slots").

In addition (or as a more simple standalone setup), you could define
two queues (one "qtype none" for parallel jobs only), and change the
seq_no for both queues in the opposite way. I.e. serial jobs will
first use machine 1, then 2. While parallel ones will first use
machine 2, and then 1(the scheduler must be set to "queue_sort_method
seqno").