[GE users] Difference in number of allocated and execution slots with PE

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Apr 24 13:01:04 BST 2008

Hi,

Am 24.04.2008 um 13:41 schrieb Azhar Ali Shah:

> Using SGE with MPICH2-1.0.7rc2 (smpd daemon based method) on my 6
> node cluster with 9 processors in total, when I submit a job
> requesting 9 processors, it gets run on only on 7 (including one
> master), as I could verify from qacct command.
>
> I cann't understand why the rest of two processors don't take part
> in computation?

with the daemon based method you get only one entry for the daemon
per node (hence 6) plus one entry for the master task (i.e. the job
script) of this parallel job (so 7 in total, as I would expect it).
This is the reason to have the setting "job_is_first_task FALSE" in
the daemon based method. In qacct you should see for this "master"
entry (usually the last one) nearly no computation (i.e. CPU) time
reported.

> Though when 4 processors are requested the job runs on 4 slaves
> plus one master i.e total of 5 processors in use!

Same as above, correct output. Although depending on the actual load
of the cluster you might get less entries, as there is only one
daemon necessary even when two processes for one job are running on
this slave node.

> Any ideas on how to get arround this?

Nothing to worry about, all seems to be in best order :-)

-- Reuti