[GE users] How to configure GE to send jobs to two clusters

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Apr 24 17:12:23 BST 2008

Hi,

Am 24.04.2008 um 17:24 schrieb Esteban Freire:

> We have two GE clusters configured, one installed locally and the
> other one in an external machine running qmaster server. We would
> like to know if it is possible configure our submitter host to
> submit jobs to two different qmasters, I think we can get this
> playing with the variable $SGE_CELL but I would appreciate some help.

are you sharing the $SGE_ROOT between both clusters?
The $SGE_CELL is not "default" in at least one of the clusters?
The sge_qmaster/sge_execd ports are the same in both clusters?
The same user accounts exist in both clusters?
The /home is shared?

> Other question in which we are interested is, can we also have a
> qstat result for both qmasters?

If you write a wrapper for qstat (and qsub), which will select a
different cellname on-the-fly, it should work. It will lookup the
other qmaster by getting its name from the act_qmaster file which is
different. In case you don't share $SGE_ROOT, you can just copy the
static information in $SGE_ROOT/other_cell to the other cluster.

-- Reuti

PS: Another option could be: http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/
TransferQueues/transferqueues.html The included scripts are for 5.3
and will need some tweaking to work under 6.0.