[GE users] How to configure GE to send jobs to two clusters

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Apr 24 17:13:19 BST 2008

The only people I've seen doing this in a really robust, production
environment are organizations that have wrapped and replaced the
standard qsub binary with a wrapper that has "local intelligence"
within it. The wrapper enforces some submission requirements, does
some other local stuff that makes sense and then makes the decision
"which" cluster gets the job submission.

Otherwise qsub can be pointed at any cluster simply by initializing
the proper setup script and/or playing with path and ENV ports such as
SGE_QMASTER_PORT etc. Even then, you may want to wrap qsub if only so
the user gets back a "Your job has been submitted to CLUSTER A" or
some other sort of feedback regarding which system took their request.

Transfer queues can be used to move jobs between SGE clusters but
honestly that topic is something I've only encountered in
documentation and have never seen in a production environment.

Same goes for qstat. If you just want to point qstat at an arbitrary
qmaster you just need to play games with ENV variables and/or the
settings.sh|csh scripts.

If you want a single qstat command that shows output from both
clusters then you are back in custom wrapper land. Maybe a wrapper
that does an XML query to both systems and uses XSLT transformation to
print a plaintext report that is formatted to exactly suit your needs.
Otherwise, a web dashboard may be a more suitable interface for
monitoring multiple clusters.

My $.02 of course!

-Chris