[GE users] How to configure GE to send jobs to two clusters

Esteban Freire esfreire at cesga.es
Fri Apr 25 10:38:53 BST 2008

Hi Reuti and Chris,

First of all, thanks for your answer.

Reuti escribió:
> Hi,
>
> Am 24.04.2008 um 17:24 schrieb Esteban Freire:
>
>> We have two GE clusters configured, one installed locally and the
>> other one in an external machine running qmaster server. We would
>> like to know if it is possible configure our submitter host to submit
>> jobs to two different qmasters, I think we can get this playing with
>> the variable $SGE_CELL but I would appreciate some help.
>
> are you sharing the $SGE_ROOT between both clusters?
> The $SGE_CELL is not "default" in at least one of the clusters?
> The sge_qmaster/sge_execd ports are the same in both clusters?
> The same user accounts exist in both clusters?
> The /home is shared?

No, we are not sharing the $SGE_ROOT between both clusters, they are
different installations, and they are installed in different paths, and
besides they are different versions, one is installed with *SGE 6.0u6*
and the other one with *GE 6.1u3*

In this moments, the $SGE_CELL is "default" in both clusters. How to
should I configure it?

The sge_qmaster/sge_execd ports are not the same in both clusters,
should they are the same?

Yes, same user accounts exist in both cluster, but /home is not shared.

>> Other question in which we are interested is, can we also have a
>> qstat result for both qmasters?
>
> If you write a wrapper for qstat (and qsub), which will select a
> different cellname on-the-fly, it should work. It will lookup the
> other qmaster by getting its name from the act_qmaster file which is
> different. In case you don't share $SGE_ROOT, you can just copy the
> static information in $SGE_ROOT/other_cell to the other cluster.

Sorry, how can I select a different cellname with qstat?

> -- Reuti
>
> PS: Another option could be:
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/TransferQueues/transferqueues.html
> The included scripts are for 5.3 and will need some tweaking to work
> under 6.0.

Ok, I have to read this.

Thanks,
Esteban