[GE users] Requested consumables in dynamic resource quota

Henry Leyh henry.leyh at ipp.mpg.de
Mon Dec 1 08:28:24 GMT 2008

On Fri Nov 28 2008, reuti wrote:
> Am 28.11.2008 um 08:28 schrieb Henry Leyh:
> > On Thu Nov 27 2008, reuti wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> if you reqeust a PE for your job, all limits/resource requests are
> >> multiplied automatically by the requested slot count.
> >
> > If I set up my RQS like this:
> >
> >   limit users {*} hosts {@certain_hosts} to my_resource=some_value
> >
> > then it looks like I am allowed to use no more than 'some_value' on
> > one host.
> > That is, one slot seizes all of 'some_value' and I can run only in
> > one slot
> > per host, no matter how many more slots are free. But what I would
> > like is
> > more or less the opposite: that one slot can not request more than
> > 'some_value' so that I can run in more than one slot with each
> > taking at most
> > 'some_value' (in fact what you are saying: the resource limit
> > should be
> > multiplied by the requested number of slots which, however, does
> > not appear to
> > be the case).
>
> A limit per slot is not implemented. You can multiply beforehand, e.g.
>
> imit users {*} hosts {@certain_hosts} to virtual_free=800M
>
> and submit with "-pe mpich 2 -l virtual_free=400M" - you should be
> able to get two slots on the machine. I.e. the request is 800M in
> total when run on one  machine.

Hi,
Yes, that's how we do it now.  With the above submit command you get indeed 2
slots but how can I prevent somebody from requesting virtual_free=800M and
thus blocking one slot?  What I am thinking about is rather an upper limit for
virtual_free per slot or, if you like, a lower limit for the requested number
of slots.

I will give it some more thought, may be there is a work-around.

Thanks a lot anyway.

Regards,
Henry