[GE users] Is this a bug?

Aaron Turner aaron at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed Dec 3 13:27:40 GMT 2008

Dear All,

Every now and then we have a user who submits a job or jobs requesting a
memory usage of zero. Sun Grid Engine seems to interpret this as a
request for an infinite amount of memory and it pushes queues into an
error. Or at least I assume this is what it is doing as often 0 is used
for infinity elsewhere.

Is this a bug, or is our config (which is fairly standard) at fault?

In theory a script could be written to trap this and throw back an
error, to wrap qsub, but I'd rather not write extra code that might
potentially break between releases (although the API and command line is
remarkably stable, so that isn't very likely).

Regards,

   Aaron Turner