[GE users] Array jobs & job priorities

Brendon Oliver brendon.oliver at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 19:33:36 GMT 2008

Hi Reuti,

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 04:53:47 am reuti wrote:

> > Job type A is much more important than B.  So we use 'qsub -p
> > 100 ...' when it
> > is submitted (job type B gets no '-p' priority whent submitted).
>
> personally I would prefer -100 and 0 instead of positive priorities,
> but
what do you mean by:
> if the user has the right to use priorities over 0 it's okay of
> course.
?

Do you there is a config setting which allows a user to have priorities >0, or
are you implying that it's just a convention (eg. that "ordinary" users use
priorities <0, while >0 are reserved for "special" use)?

> > Now job type B can often be an extremely large long-running job.
> > We know this
> > in advance, so when this happens, the job gets submitted as an
> > array job (
> > qsub -t 1-n ... etc.).  There will frequently be more array tasks
> > than there
> > are available machines in the cluster.
> >
> > What I want / need / would like to happen: if an array job of type
> > B is
> > currently running on the queue (eg. there might be 4x machines in
> > the queue
> > cluster, tasks 1 thru 4 are executing on those 4 boxes, tasks 5
> > thru 10 are
> > sitting in the queue as "pending"), if a job of type A is
> > submitted, that it
> > gets scheduled before the next task of job type B gets scheduled.
> > The type A
> > job _must_ get executed before the remaining tasks for job B are run.
>
> Exactly this is what I observe - hence to do. Which SGE version are
> you using? You can switch on "report_pjob_tickets TRUE" to check the
> computed prioritzy, but switch it off in long term as it's time
> consuming.

Our grid is built from sge-V60u7_1_TAG-src.tar.gz on a Gentoo linux box.
We're not really in a position to upgrade to a more recent version either
(we've got ~100 or so machines in the production grid running 24x7 so an
upgrade isn't something to be take lightly ;-) ).

Where would I find this "report_pjob_tickets" setting? Is that in the
scheduler config or in the queue?

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

- Brendon.

--

 06:25:04 up 39 days,  8:23,  2 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.20, 0.13