[GE users] execd on stateless nodes

Gerald Ragghianti geri at utk.edu
Thu Dec 4 17:40:09 GMT 2008

Hi David,
We use the automated install approach for provisioned servers with local
disks, but the approach works fine for stateless nodes.  It works
reliably and it is quite fast.  We chose to not share SGE_ROOT over
nfs.  We simply untar a slightly customized GE distribution directory
and execute and install script:

#!/bin/sh
useradd -r sgeadmin
chown -R sgeadmin /opt/n1ge
echo "sge_qmaster  536/tcp" >> /etc/services
echo "sge_execd  537/tcp" >> /etc/services
cd /opt/n1ge
./inst_sge -x -auto sge.conf
echo "source /opt/n1ge/default/common/settings.csh" > /etc/profile.d/sge.csh
echo "source /opt/n1ge/default/common/settings.sh" > /etc/profile.d/sge.sh

David Rioja wrote:
> Hello,
> I have to install execd in my stateless (diskless bootable) nodes. I
> have a fs root for the node image in my master node fs. Normally I
> install stuff using chroot to that base directory but I can't use this
> strategy for sge_execd installation because of the tests the script makes.
>
> Has anyone installed in diskless cluster nodes? Any ideas?
>
> I've thought to install normally in a booted sample node and then copy
> the resultant root file system to the master, but I don't know if
> installation script stores something relative to the hostname.
>
> Another alternative (somehow bizarre) is to make an automated install at
> boot time using an script.
>
> Regards,
> David

Gerald Ragghianti
IT Administrator - High Performance Computing
http://hpc.usg.utk.edu/
Office of Information Technology
University of Tennessee
Phone: 865-974-2448