[GE users] execd on stateless nodes

brooks brooks at aero.org
Thu Dec 4 19:32:31 GMT 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 06:31:43PM +0100, David Rioja wrote:
> Hello,
> I have to install execd in my stateless (diskless bootable) nodes. I
> have a fs root for the node image in my master node fs. Normally I
> install stuff using chroot to that base directory but I can't use this
> strategy for sge_execd installation because of the tests the script makes.
>
> Has anyone installed in diskless cluster nodes? Any ideas?
>
> I've thought to install normally in a booted sample node and then copy
> the resultant root file system to the master, but I don't know if
> installation script stores something relative to the hostname.
>
> Another alternative (somehow bizarre) is to make an automated install at
> boot time using an script.

The inst_execd script is remarkably large for what it does and is
entirely unnecessary in practice.  The script below does nearly
everything the inst_execd script does (assuming you have a shared
SGE_ROOT) and can be run on any machine with admin privs.  You then just
need to arrange to install an appropriate startup script which runs
${SGE_ROOT}/${SGE_CELL}/common/sgeexecd.  This is was we do on our
netbooted cluster.

-- Brooks

#!/bin/sh
HOST=$1
FQDN=${HOST}.demo-cluster
SGE_CELL=${SGE_CELL-default}
SPOOLDIR=${SGE_ROOT}/${SGE_CELL}/spool/${HOST}

qconf -aattr hostgroup hostlist $FQDN @allhosts
qconf -as ${FQDN}
qconf -ah ${FQDN}

mkdir -p ${SPOOLDIR}