[GE users] FIXED: SGE 6.2 Manager can qsub jobs, not user

Harry Mangalam harry.mangalam at uci.edu
Sat Dec 6 00:24:11 GMT 2008

Of course 7 s after I send, the answer arrives. Sorry for the noise.
If interested, it's because the problem user muftuler wasn't in the
USERSET as well as USER.

Harry

using SGE6.2 on a mixed cluster of CentOS 5.2 32bit and 64bit nodes,
half on a private net, half on a public net.

When I submit a job as myself (mangalam, listed as an SGE MANAGER), it
goes thru SGE fine.

When I submit the same (simple.sh) job as a new user, call him
muftuler, it hangs in the Q in an Error state.

qstat -j (job#) yields this reason:

error reason    1:          can't get password entry for
user "muftuler". Either the user does not exist or NIS error!

The user obviously exists, so it might be an NIS error, except that
when the user muftuler is promoted to a MANAGER using the qmon GUI,
he can now submit jobs successfully.

So it looks like a permissions problem within SGE.
However, muftuler can also qrsh successfully via the same queues that
he is denied when using qsub whether a Manager or not.

I thought that qrsh and qsub depended on the same permission status..?

--
Harry Mangalam - Research Computing, NACS, E2148, Engineering Gateway,
UC Irvine 92697  949 824-0084(o), 949 285-4487(c)