[GE users] Per-node group priorities?

Gerald Ragghianti geri at utk.edu
Wed Dec 10 22:20:43 GMT 2008

This seems like a fairly standard problem with shared systems. However,
you have the big advantage that you users are running very short jobs.
I would set up a project-based share tree priority system with a short
half life.  If you give each lab 50% of the resources it will
approximate a 50/50 split over the half life time (during resource
contention), and it would allow each lab to scale up to 20 nodes if the
resources are not under contention.

- Gerald

Jim Zajkowski wrote:
> Is it possible to configure SGE so that jobs submitted by members of a group
> have a preference for a specific set of nodes?
>
> The backstory: two PIs have been guaranteed use of ten compute nodes* in
> their job offer letters.  Both do nearly identical computational jobs, which
> have the flavor of tens of thousands of very very short tasks.
>
> What I would like to happen is that all nodes be available to all users all
> the time, so that if only lab A is submitting that it would run on all
> twenty machines.  If lab B submits a job as well, in a short amount of time
> I would like them to shift to a 50/50 split, ten machines per lab.
>
> I'm fairly certain this is possible with Condor (which we run on our other
> compute cluster) but we'd prefer SGE for two reasons, one being that Condor
> has issues with huge numbers of jobs, and the other being that the tools
> being run already expect an SGE environment.
>
> Is this kind of thing possible with SGE?  I found quotas but nothing like a
> resource floor.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> --Jim
>
> * where ten really means 80 cores

Gerald Ragghianti
IT Administrator - High Performance Computing
http://hpc.usg.utk.edu/
Office of Information Technology
University of Tennessee
Phone: 865-974-2448