[GE users] critical error: can't resolve group

tcheard tom.heard at eservglobal.com
Thu Dec 11 01:17:11 GMT 2008

Hi I just did a clean reinstall of sge6.2 no changes were made and now when I try running any sort of sge command on an unprivilaged user (my user account, theard) on a few of my hosts I get an error response:

critical error: can't resolve group

running grpck gives me this:

ctl-sup-sms1:/# grpck

bin::2:root,bin,daemon
        bin - Duplicate logname entry (gid first occurs in passwd entry)

sys::3:root,bin,sys,adm
        sys - Duplicate logname entry (gid first occurs in passwd entry)

adm::4:root,adm,daemon
        adm - Duplicate logname entry (gid first occurs in passwd entry)

uucp::5:root,uucp
        uucp - Duplicate logname entry (gid first occurs in passwd entry)

lp::8:root,lp,adm
        lp - Duplicate logname entry (gid first occurs in passwd entry)

nuucp::9:root,nuucp
        nuucp - Duplicate logname entry (gid first occurs in passwd entry)

smmsp::25:smmsp
        smmsp - Duplicate logname entry (gid first occurs in passwd entry)
ctl-sup-sms1:/#

And my /etc/group file looks like this:

root::0:root
other::1:
bin::2:root,bin,daemon
sys::3:root,bin,sys,adm
adm::4:root,adm,daemon
uucp::5:root,uucp
mail::6:root
tty::7:root,adm
lp::8:root,lp,adm
nuucp::9:root,nuucp
staff::10:
daemon::12:root,daemon
sysadmin::14:
smmsp::25:smmsp
nobody::60001:smf_oper
noaccess::60002:
nogroup::65534:
dba::100:
esg::11002:

If those are of any help? What is wrong?