[GE users] Resource allocation strategies

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen frankose at ifi.uio.no
Fri Dec 12 11:43:08 GMT 2008

Dear community,

I have spent a few hours going through various documents and the mailing
list archive to figure out an answer to the following question.

How are the individual processors/nodes selected for allocation to a
specific job? I know you can specify that you want certain types of
architectures, a specific amount of memory, and so forth, but given that
there are a number of nodes that satisfy these requirements, how is one
or more specifically chosen?

The reason for asking is that I would like to exploit locality in the
processor allocation. This means that if I need 10 processors/nodes I
would like them to be physically close to each other (with a short path
between them through the network). For instance, in a fat tree or a mesh
topology it is clearly defined which are the nearest nodes to each other.

Is this in any way supported, or are available nodes chosen more or less
at random from a list?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, and if there is a document that
describes this please let me know.

Sincerely,

--
Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen