[GE users] Strange behaviour with Matlab runtime

Aaron Turner aaron at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Dec 12 16:23:58 GMT 2008

Dear all,

A few weeks ago I mentioned here a strange problem we were having with a
job using Matlab runtime.

The behaviour was that the job would run on the command line in a few
seconds but any attempt to run it under SGE (batch, or qlogin, etc.) led
to the job hanging forever, not actually using any more CPU time than
the command line would do, until the real time limit on the queue killed
it some hours later. The job seemed to hang in one of the routines
initialising the MatLab runtime environment. There was no indication
from the logging in SGE on what might be happening.

After some more investigations (trial and error) it seems that the
specification of vmem limits in the queue instances is what seems to
stop the job running. I haven't seen this behaviour in conjunction with
any other executables and wondered if anyone else had.

Regards,

   Aaron Turner