[GE users] installing sge master

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Fri Dec 12 22:49:11 GMT 2008

Rafid Al-Khannak wrote:
> dear all,
>
> after installing the master host (i faced some problems throught the
> installation like sgemaster didn't start and the CSP cert didn't copy to
> the execution hosts but after the installation is finished i started
> sgemaster without problems) i should write "qconf -sh" but this message
> appears "bash: qconf: command not found"

That's because qconf isn't in your PATH yet, because you didn't source
settings.sh correctly.

> also i entered this command "SGE_ROOT/default/common#./settings.sh" and
> "SGE_ROOT/default/common#./settings.csh" and this message appears "bash:
> ./settings.sh: Permission denied"

There are a couple of mistakes in your commands. First you need to
define SGE_ROOT properly. Assuming your shell is bash and you installed
SGE in /usr/local/sge, your commands should be this:

SGE_ROOT=/usr/local/sge
source $SGE_ROOT/default/common/settings.sh

Notice I use the command "source" and that $SGE_ROOT has a "$" at the
front of it, indicating that it SGE_ROOT is a variable.

If you do that correctly, the qconf commands should work for you.

> and from the verifying the installation i typed this command "ps -ax |
> grep sge" and the output was:
>
> Warning: bad ps syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
> http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
> 32013 ?        Sl     0:00 /home/sun/bin/lx24-x86/sge_qmaster
>   311 pts/0    R+     0:00 grep sge

Wrong syntax of the 'ps' command. Try 'ps -ef | grep sge' instead.
Please read the man page for 'ps'. It's a very useful tool if you know
all the switches to it. You can read the man page with the command 'man ps'

> also with the qmon when i wrote it under sge_root and under the common:
> SGE_ROOT/default/common # qmon
> SGE_ROOT # qmon
>
> the output was:
> bash: qmon: command not found

Again, this is because you didn't source your settings.sh file
correctly. If you follow the steps above, 'qmon' should work.

--
Prentice