[GE users] memory management

magawake magawake at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 17:23:11 GMT 2008

Hello All,

We are having trouble running applications which take up a lot of memory on our GRID environment at my university.

Lets say we have 2 servers in a queue, each with 32GB of RAM.

The user has 10 Java jobs . Each job takes about 5GB of resident memory and 20GB of Virtual memory. The Virtual memory is being pre reserved  using -Xms20024m -Xmx20024m

The problem we are facing is, when the 10 jobs get into the queue, they are all trying to take up the memory which the systems don't have. This is causing our simulations to fail.

Instead, I would like to set something like this up since we have 32GB per machine and 2 machines (64 GIG):

qsub job1 -- Minus 20G of memory from the queue

qsub job2 -- Minus 20G of memory from the box, and wait UNTIL you have 20G free

qsub job3 -- Minus 20G of memory from the box, and wait UNTIL you have 20G free

qsub job9 -- Minus 20G of memory from the box, and wait UNTIL you have 20G free

qsub job10 -- Minus 20G of memory from the box, and wait UNTIL you have 20G free

We are using 6.1U5

Any thoughts or ideas?

I have been following this thread but does not seem it answers the quesion:
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=12589

TIA