[GE users] memory management

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sun Dec 14 17:43:05 GMT 2008

Hi,

Am 14.12.2008 um 18:23 schrieb magawake:

> Hello All,
>
> We are having trouble running applications which take up a lot of
> memory on our GRID environment at my university.
>
> Lets say we have 2 servers in a queue, each with 32GB of RAM.
>
> The user has 10 Java jobs . Each job takes about 5GB of resident
> memory and 20GB of Virtual memory. The Virtual memory is being pre
> reserved  using -Xms20024m -Xmx20024m

this is no reservation for SGE. Please follow the final entry in the
thread:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?
dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=12629 and define:

complex_values virtual_free=32G

for each of the two machines (qconf -me <hostname>) and submit with:

$ qsub -l virtual_free=25G ...

> The problem we are facing is, when the 10 jobs get into the queue,
> they are all trying to take up the memory which the systems don't
> have. This is causing our simulations to fail.
>
> Instead, I would like to set something like this up since we have
> 32GB per machine and 2 machines (64 GIG):

There is no distributed shared memory in SGE. You have to honor each
nodes consumption on its own.

-- Reuti