[GE users] memory management

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Dec 15 07:40:33 GMT 2008

Am 14.12.2008 um 20:04 schrieb magawake:

> OK. Makes sense.
>
> Also, where can I find the translations for ulimit? It seems when I
> run -l mem_free a ulimit value is being set. Is there a page in the
> document that shows me this?

The ulimits are set by the h_* values in the queue definition or with
the -l option to qsub. I never saw virtual_free or mem_free setting
any limit.

> Basically, I am trying to set a limit of 20G virtual and 20G resident.

Is resident set size in Linux available nowadays? I would just
request 20G and that's all. It's always best, when all programs fit
into physical memory and to prevent the usage of virtual memory.
Hence define virtual_free=32G and disregard any set up swap space.