[GE users] grid versus grid engine

Alessio Terpin aterpin at aoes.com
Mon Dec 15 09:01:08 GMT 2008

magawake wrote:

Hi,

I can give you a response regarding the LHC view of the grid,

In the case of LHC experiment, the grid is a worldwide distribueted
Computing system,
with some central service, Workload Managament System WMS, a scheduler
system [ condor ]
a informative system BDII, a top ldap database, the trre are give by
other ldap GRIS/GIIS Site BDII
publish the information to the top bdii, a VOMS server an enachement to
the globus security.
The LFC a database containg the relation between the Logical file name [
as the user call the the file ]
and the SURL where the file is saved on the Storage Element , at the
least the cluster, where the front End
is called Computing Element and the execetion host is called Worker Node.
In Other case the grid is refered to a kind of scheduler system with/out
the globus security

Alessio
> I was looking thru some slides from http://www.scribd.com/doc/193625/Caching-Grid-In-A-Nutshell
>
> And I noticed a particular slide called "Grid Engine". Is there a difference between GRID (several computers), and "GRID Engine"? Is the term Grid Engine a brand from Sun Micro Systems or a container of technology?
>
> Sorry for a newbie question
> tia

AOES                    | Alessio Terpin : Unix System Administrator
Huygensstraat 34        | Tel : +31 (0) 71 579 55 519
2201 DK Noordwijk (ZH)  | Fax : +31 (0) 71 572 12 77
The Netherlands         | WebSite www.aoes.com