[GE users] Allocate cores in the same enclosure

Sofia Bassil sofia.bassil at fra.se
Mon Dec 15 15:53:21 GMT 2008

Hello,

I am trying to set up a node allocation scheme depending on network
layout, following this thread:
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=21153

I can't get it to work even though I have the same configuration as far
as I can see. I am not using the same version of Grid Engine though, I
am using GE 6.1u4.

My cluster basically consists of a few blade enclosures and I want it to
be possible to ask for cores in one enclosure, so that you can utilize
the better banwidth within the enclosure. My plan is to set up all
enclosures with one hostgroup, one queue, and one pe each, like in the
example.

When I run a job like this:
$ qsub -pe "test*" 1 ./testSub.sh
I get the error:
cannot run in PE "test_1" because it only offers 0 slots
cannot run in PE "test_2" because it only offers 0 slots

My first question is, is it still possible to configure this (in my
version and in 6.2)?
My second question is, for my problem, is this the right solution?

Sincerely,
Sofia Bassil